Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Charlotte's Web and the Packsaddle Worm

I don't think we could have asked for a better holiday weekend. We had cool temperatures and lots of sunshine. Ray cut the weeds and grass from the back hillside. Although it took two days with a weed eater and his arms were pretty sore, we believe it was worth it. It looks really nice now and hopefully it will stay that way through the winter. We have a hot day forecast for today then another cold front will move in tonight with some showers. Then, nice cool temps on tap for the rest of the week.

Thursday, I got my first experience with a packsaddle worm or aka saddlepack worm when I began pulling up the corn stalks to make that foddershock decoration.

I thought another venomous spider had gotten me again when I felt this horrible sting on the side of my neck. It hurt so bad I was almost in tears before I made it back to the house and found a nice chain of, what looked like, blisters forming in a straight line on my neck. I washed the site and then took two Benedryl tablets. Those things knock me out and so out I went for about four hours before Ray woke me up. Needless to say the blisters were gone and no sign of anything remained on my neck. When I told my mother in law about the experience she knew right away what it was and said those worms were nasty little things and she'd been stung by several picking corn over the years. You can bet I'm gonna be more careful in the future.

Yesterday morning I was reminded of my favorite book as a child, "Charlotte's Web", when I discovered this large and beautiful web that had been spun across the back kitchen window. It was so pretty, I just had to share it with Ray. As he leaned his tall frame over the sink and off to the side of the window. He said, "There seems to be some writing in that web. It says, "some pig". He's such a tease.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Robin!

    You've certainly got some nasty creatures over there. I was always taught to beware of small crawlies with stiff whiskers because the whiskers are there as a warning to birds and suchlike that they sting and don't taste very nice. We've got a few caterpoillars like that but luckily they're not really garden dwellers.
    I hope you are fully recovered now and feeling much better.
    I like the story about the web! I've got a small one in the corner of the back door frame and it had a rainbow shimmer on the silk this morning because the sun was at the right angle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robin,

    That is a weird looking bug. I'm sorry it had to get ya'. But I'm glad your okay.

    Love you,
    Rosemi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Grandma and Rosemi!

    Yes, I'm beginning to feel a lot more like myself now that I'm off that nasty medication.

    I never saw the worm that got me but it's a creepy looking little thing and colorful too! I'm in no hurry to meet another one, that's for sure.

    Those webs are pretty in the morning sun and with dew on them. I'm sure "Charlotte" will show up eventually to claim a meal.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Robin, I'm so glad those spider bites were not serious! Benadryl is wonderful. Glad everything is ok.

    ReplyDelete