Friday, February 17, 2012

Love

Life can keep us so busy we hardly have time for the things we'd like to say, and before you know it...we've run out of time. I've thought about all the people important to me. Those I've loved who've passed on and those still here. If it's one thing I have learned, it's that real love never dies. The deep love you've shared with someone can stay with you a lifetime.
My grandparents and I shared that kind of love. In my darkest hours it's their voices of encouragement that comfort me. The days of laughter and joy we shared are now my "happy places."

Certain scents remind me of them too.
The smell of bacon and coffee in the morning bring visions of granny breaking eggs in a bowl before adding them to the skillet. She would never serve an egg with a double yoke. They had to be perfect before they'd make it to her table. I'm careful myself and think of her when that occasional double yoke appears now.

She and I share a love for several things:

We enjoyed the company of one another.
Lilacs, Iris, Peonies and Roses, Hot Cocoa, Strawberries, Ice Cream and Hot Tea.
Growing and eating Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans, Silver Queen Sweet Corn, and Watermelons.
The shade of a country porch on a summer afternoon and the scent of lilac in the spring.
And last but not least....cats and kittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment