Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Working on Some Wee People

That was quite a title wasn't it! lol 

Ray's sister Cindy lent me some craft books the other day and in them I found some cute little gnomes I plan to make and sell at the Christmas craft fair. Here's a sample from the book.



















I'll post some pics of mine when I get some finished. There are several steps in making them so it will take a few days before I can post any of the finished products. If they go well, I may sell some in baskets as ornies. We'll see how it goes. 

Yesterday was my 54th birthday. Ray fixed lunch for us and baked a delicious chocolate cake too. We spent a relaxing day watching movies and spending time with one another. It was a good day. 

It's hard to believe I'm this old. Not exactly sure when it happened but I have learned it happens a lot faster than you think it does when you're young. When I looked at my grandmother I used to imagine how I'd look at her age, but life is full of surprises and our imagination has no idea what lies in store for us in those "golden years". I can vouch for one thing, it's nothing like those silver-haired actors on TV pretend it is. All they want to do is sell you things you don't need and things that certainly don't make you smile like they do on TV. 

Your body hurts in places that constantly change and other times remain in the same spots. You can't do things you used to do. You get sad and then mad about it. You sometimes put your clothes one wrong side out and you may wear them for several hours before you realize it. That happened to me the other day and it was certainly an eye opener when Ray didn't even notice it either. (sigh) He said that's what I get for cutting off the neck tags. That's the only way he could tell. Oh well...the coming years are sure to be hilarious. ;)






5 comments:

  1. When I saw your picture I thought they looked like little gingerbread gnomes! Maybe another idea for you to try for your Christmas Fayre! With your talents I'm sure you'd find it easy to add hats to gingerbread men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way: Many happy returns for yesterday and don't worry about that age thing. I've got ten years on you and now I take the view that I'm a bit eccentric..so what. I can do what I want, when I want and wear whatever I like in whatever way I like. We're only here once and this is not a rehearsal so let's make the most of it. If it rains today, there's always tomorrow for the sun to shine so embrace everything, the good, the bad and the downright ugly. That way you'll always get the best from each situation and when things have been as bad as they can get we can look back and say 'we survived that so we can survive anything'.
    Love x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wise advice and birthday wishes my dear friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Sonia there is also a template to make gnome gingerbread cookies. That's what they're calling these little gnome decorations.

    ReplyDelete