Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Rainy Day for Comfort Food


The weatherman has been right so far. The rain has come to Hitchins and with it, falling temps. All the cats are napping while I've been busy in the kitchen baking french bread to go with our lasagna tonight.


Here's the recipe.

BASIC FRENCH BREAD

3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1 pkg. quick-rise yeast
1 tbsp. oil
1 c. hot water, 125-130 degrees
2 tbsp. soft butter
1 tsp. garlic
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
1 beaten egg white
Set aside 1 cup flour. Mix flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Stir in hot water and oil. Mix in reserved flour to make soft dough. Knead 4 minutes.
Roll into 12x12 inch square. Spread with butter, garlic and cheese. Roll up jelly roll fashion.
Place in baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cover with a cloth. Place over boiling water in a large shallow pan. Allow to rise 20-30 minutes. Make slashes in the top of loaf. Brush with beaten egg white. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

I think it's the easiest bread I've made yet.
I thought I'd make some of it into garlic bread.
The house smells so nice and comforting. I think I'll go take a little nap myself before making the lasagna.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin!

    You have had a busy few days! I love the cushion cover you did and this French loaf looks fantastic. What flour and method do you use for yours? I have a proper French recipe that I haven't tried because it's quite time consuming and I need to buy some of the French 00 flour too. I'll get round to it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used all-purpose flour in it and it was a quick one too!

    ReplyDelete