Sunday, August 22, 2010

From Where I Sit

This week and weekend has been bittersweet.

Friday afternoon the church decided to chop down their beautiful sweetgum tree in order to build a new fellowship hall. I can't begin to share how much that disturbed me and Mister. That tree was a haven for birds, a filter from the glare of the morning sun and a safety net for Mister when the roaming neighborhood dogs would chase after him.


That tree saved him many times, but now it's gone.


I watched it fall in one large piece and then cringed as they sawed each limb and finally it's trunk. Years of growth and shade gone in a matter of minutes. It hurt me a lot to see such a useful, vibrant and lovely thing destroyed for the benefit of a few.

The good news was that I got to see my sister Tracy and brother in law Greg saturday. They live on the other side of the state and I haven't seen them in two years. We had a nice visit and they brought birthday presents from themselves and my other sister Kelly. We talked alot and had a nice lunch before they headed back home.

I want to thank Rosemi from Women of God for her Sunshine Award.
I'd like to pass this award on to those blogs who have brought sunshine into my life as well.
They are:

Mad chickens and ducks

grumpy-grandma

Robin's Roost

Sharon's Knitting and Other Stuff



Thank you Rosemi!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Robin! ;D

    What a shame about the tree, I really love big old trees, I think they have character and wisdom gained by the passing years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin!

    I feel very humbled and honoured that you think me worthy of an award. What a lovely gesture.

    It's such a shame Mister lost his sanctuary from the local dogs. What stories that beautiful tree could have told if only it could have spoken.
    I met a man from The Royal Society for the Protection of Birds this morning while I was out. They also believe in protecting all things in the natural world and currently have a letter asking our politicians to help protect our children's futures by helping to save our species and fight against the causes of global warming. Of course I signed up in an instant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin.

    I'm sorry about that tree. That's really sad news. But I'm glad you had a nice visit with your sister and brother in law.

    Thank you for your comment on my blog.

    God bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much, Robin. I sometimes wondered if my blog was read at all and it's very heartwarming to know that you feel I would deserve this award. Your blog warms my heart too. Thanks very much, again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the sunshine award!! I'm glad the blog makes you smile. Sometimes I wonder if I'm too gloom and doom...

    The loss of the tree makes me sad too. I love old trees, homes, etc. I always think how many people have lived and loved during the life of that tree or old house.

    ReplyDelete