Thursday, June 24, 2010

Here We Go Again


I'm not sure what it is about me, but I'm the person all mother cats come to once their kittens are about to be weaned. It doesn't matter who they belong to, they come to me for food, love and assistance. None of the neighbors will claim ownership of any mother cat and it's a stronger "no" when kittens are involved. I've found homes for three litters of kittens over the past two years, for mother cats who have since been adopted by us.

Yesterday, another mother shows up with her four kittens in tow. Now I do know the mother was being fed by the next door neighbor, but last year he lamented feeding her so I can only assume he's stopped since she's been stealing from my cats bowls for the past year.

When Ray got home and heard the news, all he could do was laugh. He said he'd been expecting "Penny" to bring her kittens to me as he could tell she was breast feeding. I named her "Penny" because like a bad one, she just kept showing up.

The kittens are cute but scared to death of people for some reason. I can only hope they calm down soon. They've decided to use my lettuce planter for a litter box. The lettuce was just ready to be harvested too. It's all gone now though. (sigh)
I found an old litter box from the other litters that is now on the deck for their pleasure.

I did call our vet and he's going to put a notice up in his office that I have free kittens to give away. I like Dr. Gibson and his staff are really nice. Hopefully, we'll find a good home for the kittens and for "Penny".

I only wanted one cat, but life never quite goes according to plan now does it.
Thank God for the Serenity Prayer.



(You may click on the image for a larger, readable version.)


Here's "Penny" with two of her babies.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin!

    They say that cats own you, you don't own a cat and I think that's very true. Animals (and birds) sense when someone is worth latching onto. You only have to look at Emma and some of the animals and birds that have displayed very strange behaviours to see that! From 'gay bunnies' to a cockerel that should be one of the most splendid to behold, except that he's never managed to grow a tail (she's got his picture on the blog today), they all see her coming and send the message 'pick me, pick me'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grandma!

    I do feel owned, that's for sure. These kitties are the rulers of this roost. That is, until Ray gets home. lol

    I get tickled reading Emma's blog. Those critters of hers are a hoot!

    ReplyDelete