Friday, July 9, 2010

A Break

A break in the heat wave is finally here.
In the early hours of the morning, I awoke to the sound of thunder in the distance. What a delightful sound that was.

These past few days have been extremely hot. Each time the storm door was opened, felt like an open oven door instead. I couldn't breathe out there for very long.

With Ray's help, we used a dark green sheet to shade some of the hostas to keep them from burning up. Ray watered everything, fed the cats and learned how to make our favorite pasta dish. He's a patient, compassionate man and my best friend. I love him dearly.

Pain is magnified when you suffer from fibromyalgia, so I had to lay around on pain medication, muscle relaxers and ice packs the past few days. I've slept quite a bit and have managed to stay off my feet.

The kittens have managed to destroy my last attempt at growing parsley. I found the last planter box upside down on the deck this morning. It's still there too as I just can't take care of it right now.

Ray ran into an old friend yesterday he hadn't seen in years. His mother has something to do with a humane society somewhere and told Ray she might take Penny and the kittens and find homes for them. I hope she can. Trying to feed 10 cats is getting rather expensive and not a burden neither one of us care to have.

We've had more than our share of zucchini. I gave some to the minister along with a loaf of zucchini bread. It's a moist bread and very sweet too.

ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspooon vanilla
2 cups coarsely grated zucchini (loosely packed)
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 3 eggs until frothy. Gradually add 2 cups sugar. Stir in 1 cup vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla. Beat until thick and lemon colored. Stir in zucchini.

In a medium bowl, whisk together to combine 2 cups flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt. Stir dry mixture into wet mixture, stirring to combine. Add chopped walnuts or pecans, if desired.

Spray two bread loaf pans (approximately 8"x4"x3") with Baker's Joy, or grease and flour to prevent sticking. Pour batter into pans and level off with the back of a spoon.

Bake for approximately 1 hour or until done.

Allow loaves to cool in pan for 10 minutes, then run a knife along the sides to loosen bread and remove from pans. Cool on wire rack. Brush tops of loaf with melted butter while still warm.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Robin!

    Hope you're feeling a bit better now. There's nothing worse than feeling less than 100% in very hot weather. We are having a very hot and humid weekend but the weather forecasters are promising some rain on Tuesday.
    I like the look of the recipe for zucchini bread and will have to try it one day.
    Well done to Ray for mastering the pasta dish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Grandma!

    Yes, I'm starting to feel better. Been making some yo yos for a project.
    That garden song fabric came in the mail today, so I'm gonna start that wall quilt pretty soon too.

    The zucchini bread recipe is really good. Depending upon your oven, you may have to bake it a bit longer than an hour. It's sweet like a cake.

    Ray sends his thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, this sounds like a delicious zucchini recipe and I can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sharon!

    You're welcome! It's a moist bread too. To me, it's more like a cake. You can really taste the sugar and cinnamon in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robin, I'm sorry about the fibromyalgia. I don't know much about it except it is painful. Does it go away?

    I'll have to try this recipe sometime. It is so wonderful that you can make all those crafts. I am interested in cloth doll making and learning to crotchet & knit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rosami!

    No, fibromyalgia is permanent and there is no cure. Doctors know very little about it. Some don't believe in it at all. I guess it's easier to dismiss something if it's beyond your capacity to treat it.

    Anyway, blocking out the pain is something I have to work on daily and some days are better than others. Complaining doesn't help either so I try not to do that.

    Thank you for the compliments. :D
    There are all kinds of tutorials in the internet for just about anything you'd like to learn. I'm left-handed so knitting is something I could never learn.

    ReplyDelete