Sunday, July 25, 2010

Had to Happen

After two years of pushing a lawnmower over these hills and dales, the weather and out of control growth of the lawn pushed us into finally making that large purchase. Our first lawn tractor. We have almost an acre of lawn to mow, and well, I just can't help Ray mow it anymore due to poor health reasons.

The weather has been extremely hot during the week and has done nothing but rain on the weekends for the past three weeks. The garden expert on the local news said not to mow on these horribly hot days because it could kill the grass. So we listened and eventually realized that no push mower was going to make it very far in our tall grass without cutting out. So yesterday morning as we were lamenting the working nightmare ahead of us, I told Ray I thought it was time we did some research and just buy one.

Well, needless to say, I got no argument as he disappeared quickly upstairs and to his computer. After about an hour of brands, model and price comparisons, he headed to the local dealer.

He was back within the hour with a huge smile on his face, a bag with a manual and a new key. He said the mower was to be delivered in an hour or so, free of charge and would be set up and ready to go before the delivery rep left. Now THAT'S what I call service!

Well, the salesman was true to his word as the sharp new Cub Cadet tractor on a trailer was backing onto the driveway.
I don't know what it is about a new lawn tractor, but neighbors that haven't spoken to us since we moved here, are suddenly waving at Ray as they drive by. I guess I'll never understand what that's about, but happy for the kindness all the same.

Now the job that took a grueling four hours was now completed in a little over one.
Needless to say, Ray's one happy guy.

Oh, and did I mention it has a cup holder too?

7 comments:

  1. Yea!!! How fun is that and Ray looks very happy with his new 'toy'. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin!

    I know exactly how you feel, last spring we had to mow our two acre paddock with a hand mower, and even doing shifts it nearly killed me!! We now have a tractor mower too, great fun to whizz about on! Ours doesn't have a cup holder though, I'm beginning to feel I've missed out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin!

    Yes, Ray is thrilled and said last night that a few blades of grass grew taller than some of the others overnight and that he may have to do some more mowing. lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Emma!

    Two acres to push mow! My goodness! I cringe at the thought of that!

    LOL! Yes, Ray said that cup holder was necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Robin!

    I laughed when I read this post! The speed at which Ray moved to compare prices is due to a phenomenon called 'boys toys'! I think it's every man's dream to have a 'ride on mower' especially one with a cup holder for those thirsty pauses!
    Go Ray!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Grandma!

    Ray got a chuckle when I read your post to him too. Still can't get that smile off his face. Wish I'd mentioned that mower earlier now. It's nice to see him so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is cool Robin! We just got a new hedge trimmer because the old one died. My husband was so happy he got the job done in less than half the time and it took less effort.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete