Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stranger At The Door

We live on hill several feet from the road here in Hitchins. It's not a fun climb up the hill and there are several stairs to climb as well. I guess one could say we're not that handy for strangers.

I had opened the storm door to check on the kittens on the deck when I heard a man call out "hello" from a short distance. I immediately shut the storm door and the heavy wood door too, only to hear a knock on the storm door a few seconds later.

I opened it to see a toothless, tall, thin man with a glass eye or lazy eye, standing on the deck a few feet from the door. People who appear to be looking in two different directions always did make me uneasy. Not that they have the eye issue, but the mere fact is, I'm never sure which eye I'm supposed to be looking into.

He was clean and casually dressed in a white polo shirt with black stripes across the chest.

When I said, "Yes?", he asked me if I went to church and then went into this story about hauling a freezer for someone but was running low on gas and could I spare a few dollars.

Now I'm not exactly sure where the church question came from, as it had nothing to do with his request for money.

I told him I couldn't be of help to him.

He quickly commented on how pretty my cats were and how he just loved cats, then turned and quickly left.

Noticed an older model, small, white pickup truck with no freezer in the back as he backed out of the driveway and onto the street. He drove past several other neighbor's homes without stopping.

I must admit it has left me a bit nervous as to who this man is and why chose my home. We may never know why and I hope I never do.

The rain is coming down in buckets and I must admit I'm glad I don't have to water the vegetable garden today.
The cherry tomatoes are ripening and the other vines are laden with clusters of the larger ones too. I'm going to have loads to share and for salsa this year.







2 comments:

  1. Hi Robin!

    What and odd an unsettling experience. I hope you've seen the last of him. I'm unsettled by people with eyes looking in different directions too! There's a guy down the road with a glass eye and I'm never sure where to look when I'm talking to him either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Robin!
    We've got a youngish postman with eyes like that, but he's very short with a long ponytail. He scared the life out of Eden one day not so long ago! I rarely have letters that they have to knock with but she was here and opened the door! She said she won't do that again because he 'looked scary with those eyes'!

    ReplyDelete